What is a Training Agreement?
- for each work placement, except for orientation work placements, a training agreement (also commonly referred to as "learning agreement") should be signed. This is a legally binding contract between the host organisation (as the ‘receiving’ organisation), Ghent University (as the ‘sending’ institution) and the trainee. Should various trainees be sent out to a single host organisation, a collective training agreement can be drafted (e.g. at Ghent University Hospital).
- work placements that are part of the curriculum follow a standard procedure laid down by the Legal Office. Students fill out the Legal Office's online webapp, which then automatically generates their training agreement. Go to https://www.ugent.be/student/nl/studeren/stage/stageovereenkomst Some faculties have their own customized procedure to generate training agreements, but all of them are based on the same Ghent University model. If necessary, the Legal Office may alter the model agreement, or the already customized model agreements used by certain faculties in the context of specific study programmes. In case of questions contact verzekeringen@UGent.be;
- a training agreement should also be signed for voluntary work placements;
- if the standard training agreement does not include an integrated activity plan or a set of tasks, these should be added as an appendix. The same goes for the document on rights and obligations;
- as a first step towards a training agreement, the trainees can draft an activity plan for the work placement supervisor. In that draft proposal, they can include the objectives and expected work placement activities.
- detailed information about the content of a training agreement, about all parties' rights and obligations, and about the procedure to enter into the training agreement can be found here (in Dutch);
- the dean of the faculty involved signs the training agreement on behalf of Ghent University. The Legal Office handles the further follow-up.
- A training agreement is not required for orientation work placements as these are not work placements in the legal sense of the word, because the trainee does not carry out any tasks at the work placement.
Last modified Oct. 11, 2021, 2:07 p.m.